Execute Your Game Plan To Be The Best You Can Be
Author of Standing Above The Crowd and Professional Speaker
James established The Donaldson Clinic in January 1990 (shortly after a career threatening knee injury) with an idea that he would eventually become a physical therapist. He is a strong advocate for Women & Minority owned businesses and is very involved with various Chambers of Commerce. He understands what it takes to sustain a strong business environment that is conducive to the success of businesses overall.
James is a Washington State University graduate (’79). After an outstanding basketball career with WSU, he went on to play professional basketball in the N.B.A. with the Seattle Supersonics, San Diego/L.A. Clippers, Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks and Utah Jazz. He also played for several teams in Spain, Italy and Greece of the European Leagues plus toured with The Harlem Globetrotters to wrap up his career. James was an N.B.A. All-Star in 1988 while playing center for the Dallas Mavericks. In 2006, James was inducted into the Pac – 10 Sports Hall of Fame and also the Washington State University Athletic Hall of Fame. In 2010, James was elected as a board member for the NBA Retired Players Association.
He now devotes the majority of his time to various community activities, and toward the operations of The Donaldson Clinic. James frequently conducts speaking engagements (motivational, inspirational, educational) for organizations, schools, youth groups and is the author of the soon to be published “Standing Above the Crowd” of which you can learn more about at www.StandingAboveTheCrowd.com and is available for pre-sale now.
In 2009, James was a candidate for the office of Mayor for the city of Seattle. He had a strong 4th place finish in a crowded field of 8 candidates. It was the first time that James has run for an elected office in the world of politics and he will work closely with several elected officials in regards to politics, youth and educational issues in Seattle.
In 2010, James was the recipient of the NBA Legends of Basketball ABC Award which is awarded to the person who is recognized for outstanding contributions in Athletics – Business – Community.
James is a long time resident of the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle. He believes in being a role model of success and professionalism for the scores of young people that he devotes so much of his time to. He currently serves on several Boards and/or committees and is a member of many organizations. (Please see complete listing on back)
James believes in developing relationships that create a “Win – Win” environment for everyone involved, and being the best he can be!
Groups & Associations
- 4C Coalition - At Risk Children’s Mentoring Program (Board Member)
- All As One (Sierra Leone Children’s Orphanage) (Advisory Board)
- Board of Governors – Columbia Tower Club (Seattle)
- Boy Scouts of America (Seattle)
- Breakfast Group, The (Seattle)
- Central Area Senior Center (Board Member) (Seattle)
- Columbia Tower Club (Board of Governors) (Seattle)
- College Success Foundation (Seattle/Tacoma)
- Communities In Schools (Tacoma)
- Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce, The (Board Member) (Seattle)
- Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce: Executive Committee
- Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce: Diplomat
- Honorary Commander At McCord Air Force Base (Tacoma)
- Magnolia Community Advisory Council (Seattle)
- Mill Creek Business Association (Mill Creek)
- Mount Zion Baptist Church Scholarship Committee (Seattle)
- Mount Zion Baptist Church Health Ministry (Seattle)
- NAACP – (Tacoma)
- NBA Retired Players Association Board Member
- Northwest Minority Business Council (Tukwila)
- Riley Group, The (Seattle)
- Sound Transit Diversity Oversight Committee (Seattle)
- South Snohomish County Chamber of Commerce (Lynnwood)
- Tacoma – Pierce County Black Collective (Tacoma)
- Urban Enterprise Center (Board Member) (Seattle)
- Urban League – Tacoma, The (Tacoma)
- Washington State Mentors (Board Member / Executive Committee)
- Washington State University Alumni Association
- Washington State University Gray “W” Club
- Werlin Reading Program, The (aka: Read 2 Me) (Tacoma)
"Standing at seven foot, two inches tall, James Donaldson stands above the crowd in more ways than physical stature. His stories about making the right choices, overcoming fear and self doubt, and staying resilient and goal focused in the face of tough challenges routinely bring audiences to their feet. Audience members – from business executives to youth groups to guests at major industry conferences -- walk away standing taller, thinking more boldly, and believing in unlimited possibilities that they can make happen in their lives and work."